Hey everyone! I’m delighted to publish my third blogpost. It is not as if I will be counting it.lol. Today’s post is about an appreciation from a young girl. And I will be telling you about what I do.
These words of a young girl made me glad and got me thinking. What led to this words? Well, before I tell you why she said so, I will start by telling you what happened the whole day.
I run a christian charitable organisation. Its called The allys club(TaC). In the club, we create hope to the less privileged and the needy. We had a project on February 14 which is well known for the celebration of valentines day. I, my team and volunteers decided to show True love to the children of a rural community. This community is called Ago-Egun(its a yoruba word). Its inhabited by the ilajes and Eguns. These people basically know how to swim without being taught because its inborn. Its natural to them. Besides they live on water. Some days before February 14,when my team and I was surveying the place, we saw young children swimming. At first they didn’t want to take pictures but eventually did. I wish I had the pictures here. But don’t worry I could probably publish a blogpost on my experience on February 14. When we got to a place, we had to walk on planks on water to get to the community. On that day, one of the volunteers almost drowned. It was funny and wasn’t either. He had to rush home and change his clothes. I was confident because I had had this thought “when GOD sees His children, HE got them covered. I kept everything into GOD’S hands. I said, “you know what LORD,take the wheels and drive” and HE truly did.
How was it possible to walk on water with planks without drowning? Its not possible. These people had done bridges severally but flooding from the main water on the island comes with force to their community therefore breaks the bridge and hinders students from going to school. Which happens to be on the other side. Alongside with the force, strong leaves/plants comes along with the water. Basically leaves that grows on water. They are strong enough to carry human beings. So, under the planks, are thick plants. I don’t know the name of those plants but if you have an idea of it, you could drop it in the comments box below. Hoping to hear from you on what it might be called. An assignment for nature lovers. Lol.
Furthermore, we shared sweets,food and clothes. They had so much fun
Bolu, Seun Akiti, me,team member Seun
Well that’s me on white,my cofounder Bolu and guest speaker Seun Akiti, founder of upgrade conference and March to transformation class(M2T).
What made me happier and what I tell people is “passing through pain to put smiles on people’s faces worth it”. I believe in that. If I do this indirectly, I know how and what they feel. As a result of this, I, my friend and other female volunteers did the cooking. We didn’t call anyone to come do the cooking for us. Yes it was stressful. Cooking for almost 200 children was a whole lot of work. Like I said earlier, at first i got scared. You can see me putting my thumb in my mouth. I was like what will I say? I just kept everything into my FATHER’S Hands.
After having a long day of making this outreach a success, I headed back home with a big pot in my hands. I had to take a bus home. People in the bus were staring at me. Questions like why is this girl carrying a big pot filled their faces. Not minding them or what they had to say, I carried the pot with pride.lol.
When I got to my bus stop, it was already dark. I had to wait for my dad to come pick me. I was tired and sleepy. I just wanted to be on my bed and sleep. While waiting for my dad, I sat on a meridian with iron barriers firmly stood on it. While sitting, a young girl from the other side of the iron barrier called me and said, “Aunty, can you help me pass that carton?” When I looked at the ground, I saw a piece of carton lying on the ground. I tried passing it to her but I couldn’t. The iron barriers where too high that I couldn’t throw it to her , it was firm on the meridian, I couldn’t pass it to her from under. I just told her,”I’m sorry dear, I can’t pass it”. I thought she had gone. I was just on the lookout for my dad. Then all of a sudden, she said, “Aunty, thank you”. I turned, looked at the ground, the piece of carton was gone. It then dawned on me that she had taken it. I smiled and replied “you are welcome dear”.
Now, I will run us through some lessons learned. It was days after I realised, that experience meant something. But before we run through the lessons, let me quickly chip this in.
Everything that happens to us, happens for a reason. No matter how little it is, take it serious. Nothing happens carelessly but to either learn, teach or encourage someone
Feel free to add yours in the comments box.
- Never underestimate the power of a child: children are known for their strong ability to do something. The way u acted when you were a child isnt the way you act now. As an adult, there are things we can’t do that a child can do. They love exploring. They want to know why this is so, how to do this and trust me, that’s the beauty of childhood-the ability to lean on something when you become an adult, to laugh at the stupid things you did when you were young. That’s truly the beauty. Let them enjoy do not deprive them from doing so.
- Keep trying: the young girl in the context, kept trying. She didn’t give up. If she had would she have appreciated me? Even knowing fully well I did help her while she was trying. What is your driving force? Whenever you fall, what makes you to rise up and keep trying? Tbh, we need to emulate some behaviours of children. Children have these courageous spirit. I would love you to watch your child or anyone young around you and see what you can learn from them. Why do you think JESUS pointed out the fact that it is only when you become like a child, you belong to the kingdom of GOD?
Mark 10:14-15 (goodnews bible)
“When JESUS saw this, He became angry and said,”let the children come to me! Dont try to stop them. People who are like these little children belong to the kingdom of GOD. I promise you that you cannot get into GOD’S Kingdom, unless you accept it the way a child does”
3. Don’t look down on somebody or something: if I had ignored her, what would have happened? She was happy someone could hear her out. If it were to be an arrogant person or a frustrated person, they would have ignored and walked away. Don’t judge easily, hear people out. You reason why millions are still living. If you behave somehow how will you save lives? Or dont you know, you are sent hear on earth to make a difference? Win souls in every areas of life? How well do you treat your neighbour? Not only the ones beside where you live.lol. looking down on something on the other hand, is not seeing beyond the thing. This is where creativity &innovation comes In. A piece of carton could be used to build a carton house perfect for projects. I didn’t see any good in the carton but the girl did. Not only cartons, what of a strap of yarn? I’m basically in love with crochet.lol.plastics, nylons,fabrics. This are called DIY. A perfect example is William Kamkwamba of Malawi. He made windmills from car and bicycle spare parts. How creative are you?
4. Engagement: To engage means to suceed in attracting and keeping somebody’s mind,attention and intrest. Children love doing this a lot. But the question is how do we react to their actions? Nag? do you engage them so as to flow with them or Ignore them because they are young? Do you need to stoop low to get things done? How often do you engage your children? Or those around you?
5. Mind your language: watch what you say to children and adults. They are quick to learn. Also what you watch with them. Learn to use words that makes your fellow human beings happy. Not only children but humans in general. Words like- you look great, dearie, you are welcome, stay blessed etc. Positive words!
That’s where I will wrap it up for today. I’m sorry it this long. but I hope you are blessed by it. Here, we say “chop kiss”-it means pecks on the cheek. We say it to express true love to people. So………
Chop kiss everyone. Lol
Got to go
One more thing
Oyin loves you
GOD loves you more
Okay, bye now.